Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Tetris Baby Blanket

I only have 2 projects on the needles right now, and ever since I finished the skull armwarmers (let's face it, they're waaay to big to be called wristwarmers) I've been meaning to start on the baby blanket for my friend Hazel. I'm glad I procrastinated about it, because while browsing the Knittyboard yesterday I came upon a pattern that jumped out and screamed "I'm the one you should make!"
The pattern, created by gracielou on the Knittyboards, is called Tetris Baby Blanket with Mock Crochet Edge. I absolutely fell in love with it at first sight, and I know that it will be perfect for my friend and her boyfriend.
I already have 12 balls of Knitpicks Crayon for said blanket; the original is done in Sugar n Cream so I knew that I was going to work a few things out. Firstly, Crayon is DK weight while Sugar n Cream is worsted, and while I'd originally planned to use 2 strands of Crayon, I thought I should swatch just to see how the yarn felt both single and double. First time I've had to swatch, and I did 2 of them! Aren't you proud of me?

The blue is the single strand using size 5 needles; the red is double on size 7s. At first I thought the single would be alright, but the red just feels more substantial. And boy does it use up the yarn fast!
I just finished placing an order for the rest of the yarn I'll need, plus a few skeins of sock yarn thrown in to get free shipping. I've already charted my colors, subbing orange and red for the denim blue and violet. According to my swatch, my blanket should be about 20 inches across.
I also have some promising news on the school front; today I emailed the program coordinator and she replied back that she still hasn't heard from the Graduate College. She suspects that it's my low GPA that's holding up the process, but she did tell me that she wrote a memo on my behalf. At least someone has some confidence in me!

No comments: