Thursday, January 27, 2011

And So It Begins

Sock yarn blanket-square 1 This is the beginning of a sock yarn blanket.

Many, many squares will be knit together to form a blanket. There are many examples of this blanket on Ravelry, and the original inspiration can be found here.I've only been knitting for a few years, and I knew that I would want to knit one of these eventually, preferably after I'd mastered knitting socks and as a result would have plenty of leftover yarn balls with which to make squares. But that's not the case. I have knitted a total of 3 pairs of socks. But I have sock yarn. Actually, the yarn that makes up Square #1 wasn't even leftover from socks, but from a scarf I made for my sister. The yarn is Fleece Artist Nyoni, I don't remember the name of the colorway.

It is my hope that I will be able to share the story of each square here on my blog. Most of the time there won't be much to the story; in fact I can tell you that Square #2 lived a very quiet life. But I do have yarn coming to me that I will incorporate into the blanket and I'm sure their stories are much more interesting.

And now here is the shameless plug for yarn, fingering/sock weight, all I need is 5g to make a square and it doesn't have to be machine washable.

One other thing, I'm not using the aforementioned pattern for this blanket. I'll be using the method I used for the mitered square baby blanket, knitting the squares in rounds. I don't know how many rounds it will take for me to consider this project finished. What I do know is that I'm really excited to see how it develops.

No comments: