Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Bento 101 Assignment 2: Sizing it up

I did a quick post of these pictures to Instagram and Twitter, but since I couldn't really fiddle with the pictures you really don't get the full effect. So I thought I'd post about the assignment here too.

Assignment 2 of the Bento 101 course calls for us to see just how much food can really go into a bento box. The boxes may seem small, but the idea is to really pack the food in so it doesn't move and it holds up better during transit. Even before this course started and I was thinking about trying to make bento lunches, I had purchased some divided containers, and I used one for this assignment.

First picture: Dinner on a regular dinner plate. This is some ribeye steak, steamed white rice, sauteed mushrooms and onions, and edamame.

And here is the same food packed into a 650 ml container. I even had extra room, so threw in some grape tomatoes.

The rice is underneath the meat and mushrooms, with plenty of headspace left.

BTW, I couldn't finish all of the food.

No comments: