Saturday, February 19, 2011

Book Review: Like Mandarin by Kirsten Hubbard


A couple of weeks ago Kirsten Hubbard walks into my library armed with posters promoting her book. Little did I know that she was a debut author whose title, Like Mandarin, is on a list of suggested reads for the 2011 Debut Author Challenge that I'm participating in over on The Story Siren's blog.

I track down a galley copy, and after the first page, I'm hooked. I love the writing style. Grace has a voice that's honest and anguished. Mandarin is an enigma. Momma is crazy. Taffeta is there, but she's not just filler.

Reading Like Mandarin was a nice change from the fantastic, dystopic titles I'd been reading lately. It had more substance to the last "real" YA book I read. It has a definite literary quality to it that should appeal to older readers as well.

No comments: