Sunday, August 19, 2012

Book Review: Insurgent by Veronica Roth


Insurgent (Divergent, #2)Insurgent by Veronica Roth
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I'd give it 4.5 stars if I could, because I'm very reluctant to give something 5 stars. I probably wouldn't give it 5 stars though, because I thought it was a bit drawn out at times, but maybe that's because we needed a bit of a run-up to the action. And yes, there is plenty of action. But also large amounts of introspection, which I appreciated after finishing a reread of the Hunger Games trilogy. In my opinion, I think this series has quite a bit more depth and I'd love to see these books dissected in a high school or even college-level literature or psychology course. Heck, you can even use the books in history or science!

And when you think there's no way these authors can engineer yet another ending that leaves you howling at the last page...yes, one will be waiting with baited breath for the next book.

One small spoiler: Roth has plenty of time to get us invested with these characters. But I have to say that one of the characters that really hooked me wasn't introduced until nearly the ending, it only took a few pages, and I'm sorry we won't see more of him.


View all my reviews

No comments: