Monday, February 9, 2009

2 FOs!

I can say with absolute certainty that I have never had two FOs this close to each other...


FO #1 - The Amanda Hat
Pattern: Amanda Hat from Sleepy Eyes Knitting
Yarn: Malabrigo Worsted in Indigo


I absolutely love this hat. Not only is it the first hat I have made for myself, it's also the first item I've knitted with Malabrigo, and yes, I now get the love. Isn't the lace pattern so pretty?
I've worn this hat every day since Thursday on account of a weather forecast consisting of 3 major storms. Here in San Diego that means rain, nothing more unless you live above 3500 feet or so. My hat replaced the need to carry an umbrella.
Did I mention that I love this hat?


FO #2 - Gossamer Stars Scarf
Pattern: Gossamer Stars Scarf by Kat Coyle, published in Interweave Knits, Summer 2008
Yarn: Elann Soie Bambou in Arles Teal


I began this scarf last May but set it aside after a couple of months to work on other things. I learned about provisional cast-ons with this pattern, although I can't seem to find the original tutorial I used, which I think involved a crochet hook but doesn't have you knit into the bumps on the back of a chain of stitches. Anyway, I was sorely tempted to gift the scarf without blocking, but in retrospect I'm glad I blocked. Boy does silk stretch!

Please excuse my poor blocking technique. The top picture shows the scarf on my ironing board, which is what, about 10 inches wide?
I folded the scarf in half to block it (read somewhere that that was acceptable). Then I began pinning, using the striped towel I'd bought especially to try and keep a straight line, after blocking the scarf measured a whopping 15" wide!

I gifted it earlier today, it was a complete surprise for my friend, who kept using the word "gorgeous". She's a very particular woman, that compliment really means a lot!

No comments: