Friday, August 13, 2010

Home in 2 weeks?

Today I got a call from Dan's case manager, who told me that a discharge date has been set for 2 weeks from today. I must say it was a bit overwhelming, since I'd expected him to be in rehab for at least 6 weeks. Obviously he can't stay in rehab forever, but I guess I was thinking I'd have more time to get things ready at home. We have so much junk that needs to be cleared out, and I have to be careful about loading our recycling bin because we got a warning last time that it was too heavy.
As of now, he will need 24-hr supervision. Whether or not that changes in 2 weeks remains to be seen, although I think it's doubtful. Believe me, I'd love for him to prove me wrong. He still has memory problems, and at one point this evening when he asked me who I was, I was so shocked I didn't know what to say, at which point he reminded me that his head was damaged. Shame on me.
There's a chance that after discharge, Dan will be accepted into the rehab center's day program, where he'd continue getting 3 hours of therapy a day. But there's a couple of physiological hurdles he has to clear, so I'm hoping in these next 2 weeks the nurses will be focusing on that.
Dan had some company for OT today, they sat in while he worked with Play-Doh. For PT, he did some walking without the walker, and went outside to play basketball. He dribbled some and shot a few shots, only to go back inside because it was too hot. I'll give him a pass on that one, thank goodness we're not on the other side of the country where it's scorching.

No comments: