Thursday, August 21, 2008

Ravelympics!


Ravelympics is a great knitting event being held in conjunction with the 2008 Summer Olympics. Over on Ravelry, we've formed teams and entered events. I am on Team Stashdown, which is appropriate for me this Summer, and I've entered 2 events, the Hat Dash and the Sock Put.
The rules were that we could not cast on until the beginning of the Opening Ceremonies, Beijing time, which is 15 hours ahead of California. On the morning of Aug 8, I woke up and while still in bed, cast on for both of my projects, Reasonably Hip for the hat, and Silver's Sock Class for the socks (my second pair ever!)
In the midst of cheering on Michael Phelps and the rest of the swim team, and watching the intense gymnastics competition, I finished the hat and received my Ravthlete medal.

The socks, on the other hand, well, I had a false start of sorts. When I tried on the sock, after I'd turned the heel and started on down the foot, I discovered my foot was swimming in the sock, and definitely not in an Olympic kind of way. I was using size 3 dpns as the pattern suggested, but input from my fellow Knittyboarders told me that I should be using smaller needles. So, I had to frog and start over with size 1's. I'm almost finished with the first sock, hope to get it done tonight, and then I've got a pretty long car trip tomorrow in which I hope to get most of sock #2 done. I'll keep you posted!

2 comments:

Batty said...

Love the hat! That's more knitting than I've done in the past couple of weeks... oops. Besides, I have this feeling that never ending sock-syndrome is going around... my socks are also still unfinished.

Anonymous said...

Cool Hat! So I hear you're a fan of sock yarn...and maybe even the chargers :-P
Hint hint..yeppers...I'm your football swap match :-)

Just wanted to let you know I've found you :-D

hehe..I hope this posts as anonymous...uggg..I'm not so techno savy sometimes...